Veterans' survivors are entitled to many burial related benefits. However, these benefits will not be paid automatically. Claims for Veterans' benefits must usually be made within two years from the date of final interment.
As an honorably discharged veteran from the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard, you may be entitled to:
1. A burial allowance for expenses for burial and funeral of the deceased.
2. An allowance towards the burial plot expenses of a Veteran who is not buried in a national cemetery.
3. A burial flag, that can be given to next of kin or friend of deceased.
4. Bronze Memorial or headstone.
Veterans benefits are frequently altered and revised. There may also be Veterans benefits from your county. To determine your eligibility or to file your claim, contact your local Veteran's Administration or write:
Allegheny County Veterans Affairs
How to File A Claim for Veteran's Benefits
The following forms must be submitted:
1. Veteran's Discharge Papers
2. Certified copy of Death Certificate
3. Copy of Marriage Certificate
4. Birth Certificate of minor children
5. Receipted itemized funeral bill