Record-keeping at Homewood
is meticulous. In addition to maintaining all legally required documentation,
it is one of only a few cemeteries to have its own archives. These provide an
uninterrupted historical account of the cemetery from its founding in 1878 to
the present, documenting events through hand-written interment ledgers, glass
photographic negatives, and even an original parchment map showing the precise
boundaries of the cemetery as they were carved from the virgin forests of the
Honorable William Wilkins' extensive 650-acre estate, Homewood.