The Homewood Cemetery is part of the American Cemetery Movement of the 1800s. To understand the history of Homewood, a little background is necessary.
Founded in 1878, The Homewood Cemetery is part of the American Cemetery Movement of the 1800’s. Graveyards, churchyards, and family burial grounds were the first types of burial sites created by European settlers in America. By the 1820’s, American towns were turning into cities. People were leaving farm life for the opportunity to work at the first factories of the industrial revolution. It wasn’t long before demands for both living and burial space became acute.
The Homewood Cemetery was founded in 1878 to provide a cemetery for residents of Pittsburgh’s East End.
By this time, the extensive estate of Judge William Wilkins had become available for purchase. The Cemetery Association purchased 178 acres of this land with the intent of implementing a Lawn Park style cemetery, a merger of landscape design and a system of rules and regulations. At the time of the Cemetery’s founding, the East End was already home to some of Pittsburgh’s most wealthy and influential families – as well as the many people who worked for these families. The non-profit, non-denominational mission of the cemetery ensured both populations were served by the new burial ground.
Today, The Homewood Cemetery remains a non-profit, non-denominational entity that strives to serve families from all walks of life. We are still continually committed to the ideals of a Lawn Park style design, using restraint in landscaping to allow the beauty of the grounds to speak for itself.
Our guided tours offer more in depth information about the history of The Homewood Cemetery. Self-guided walking tours, which lead you through the cemetery, with stops at the burial sites of some of the more notable Pittsburgh figures at Homewood, are also available in the office. Please stop in, or call 412-421-1822, for more information.